LEARN ITALIAN IN ITALY
DO YOU HAVE A PASSION FOR ITALY, ITALIAN LANGUAGE AND CULTURE OF “BEL PAESE”?
The italian language school for foreigners (Alma Mater) in Piombino is the right solution for you!
Short study vacation
2 weeks TWO WEEKS
4 weeks ONE MONTH
8 weeks TWO MONTHS
16 weeks FOUR MONTHS
To which we can add two additional levels of “specialization” of one month each
Why learn Italian?
Italy is the cradle of Western civilization ..
Learning the language closest to Latin helps to understand the origin of many words of Western languages, and to learn about the history of European culture, literature, archeology and philosophy.
Italian is the language of music …
“The international musical terminology – said Cortelazzo – is based on Italian (just think, already in the sixteenth century, the dissemination of the Italian” fuga “in the German Fuge, in the Spanish” fuga “, in French” fugue “and, from here, in ‘ingl. “fugue”); in the eighteenth century, sing an opera mean almost exclusively, throughout Europe, sing in Italian; learning to sing opera – the scholar concluded – is one of the strongest motivations that push people from distant countries (eg China or India) to learn our language. “
Italian is the language of many migrants …
Many choose to study Italian to get closer to the culture of their origin, their roots, then to approach those relatives who a few years earlier have emigrated to seek better luck or to follow job opportunities.
Italian is the language spoken in the “made in Italy” business world …
“Made in Italy” has led the Italian language to be a protagonist in the world of design and fashion, and in the food and car industry. For those who work or would like to work in these areas, knowledge of the language is useful.
Italian is a language that improves the development of analytical thinking …
In general, the study of foreign languages supports the development of understanding and reasoning skills. Knowledge of the Italian language, due to its proximity to the Latin language, makes it easier to learn Spanish, French, Portuguese, and Romanian.
Italian is a beautiful language ..
Celebrated by many writers, musicians, artists, it has been described as the “best-composed language in terms of fluidity and smoothness” (James Howell, historian), “the most beautiful in the world” and “there is no doubt that angels in the sky speak Italian “(Thomas Mann, writer),” no language was ever more perfectly ordained to express human emotions”(Eat, Pray, Love by Elisabeth Gilbert).
Italian cities and municipalities are some of the most coveted places for holidays …
Italy is one of the most interesting states to visit, thaks to its rich cultural and natural heritage, recognized by UNESCO. Every place has an intense history to tell and you can find the most varied landscapes and environments at short distances.
Italian language is musical..
Italian is the language of opera, fashion and design …
Italian is the language of good wine and good food ..
Why learn Italian in Piombino? Here are at least ten good reasons ...
Learning is supported by the quiet environment and by contact with nature..
Piombino is a city centrally located along the Tuscan coast, in front of Elba Island, whose landscape is visible to the naked eye from the shore of the city. It is a livable city and it is possible explore it on foot. Piombino is a promontory, located on the sea, and it offers all types of coastline: rocks, sand, pebbles.
It is easier to learn a language by approaching the history and culture of its people …
Piombino also has a long history, determined mainly by its strategic position (due to the port), and its relationship with iron and agricultural production. Some places are a symbol of the various steps and moments in the city’s history.
The Etruscan settlements, the era of the “Comuni” in which Piombino found itself confronted with Pisa, the Maritime Republic, the era of States with the Appiani, in which it passed from Signoria status, to the Feudo one, to arrive at the Free Principality of the Holy Roman Empire. In addition to the Appiani family, the Ludovisi, the Boncompagni and the Baciocchi-Bonaparte families alternated, through a very long period of great political and administrative transformations, wars and invasions.
An authentic wave of renewal cames at the beginning of the nineteenth century when, after the French conquest, Napoleone granted Piombino to his sister Elisa, wife of Felice Baciocchi; in those years Piombino took the name of “little Paris“.
In 1815, with the Congress of Vienna, Piombino ended its independent existence and merged into the Grand Duchy of Tuscany, ruled by the Lorena family. The redevelopment campaign of the Maremma launched in 1828 by Leopold II leads to a slow but steady economic, demographic and construction growth. Towards the end of the nineteenth century the first major Piombino industries were founded: the Società Anonima degli Alti Forni and Fonderia di Piombino and La Magona d’Italia. In just a few decades, Piombino’s identity was firmly linked to the processing of steel.
Leonardo da Vinci and Piombino?
Leonardo Da Vinci designed Piombino’s military defense system from 1502 to 1505, with part of the walls still visible. Cesare Borgia called him as a military engineer to strengthen the defensive fortifications and to redevelope the surrounding territory.
Not just classroom study!
To know Bel Paese it is essential to stay in the streets of the cities and in the middle of the characteristic nature!
The people of Piombino, “Piombinesi” this is how the residents of Piombino are called, they are very loyal to their city, in the same way as the islanders …
Piombino looks like an island, and offers a comfortable, quiet and calm lifestyle.
The territory is characterized by several natural parks, protected and maintained as protected natural reserves. The beaches and the coast therefore did not suffer the violence of overbuilding and commercialization. The sea belongs to everyone!
In Tuscany we are particularly careful to the quality of our food products, health comes from healthy eating and sports …
There are many paths along the coast, which allow you to walk, run or cycle for many kilometers, with different degrees of height. Piombino is candidate to become Città dello Sport 2020, thanks to the cutting edge in the management of sports centers. Piombinesi are great sportsmen!
To explore the rest of Tuscany …
If you have the desire to visit the surrounding areas or other Tuscany‘s cities, Piombino central location allows you to plan visits to the islands and other cities even in the day.
# Group courses with a maximum of 10 students per class
# 20 lessons per week in the morning, and last 50 minutes each
# the class schedule every morning is from 9 to 13, with a mid-morning break
# lessons take place from Monday to Friday
# Every week there are two afternoons of cultural activities with visits to the territory, screening of films, etc.
# Professional Italian teachers highly qualified to teach Italian to foreigners
# teachers have decades’ experience in the profession
Italian School for Foreigners by Alma Mater has planned a customizable journey (duration and intensity), modulating the time for study in class with the time for city’s exploration and life in nature.
Used since the twelfth century, it was used by fishermen and vessels for commercial use of medium-small tonnage. It was enlarged and strengthened by Jacopo III Appiani in 1470, the year in which the dam was built (in the forms in which it can still be admired).
Piazza Giovanni Bovio is located at the tip of the promontory of Piombino, and is one of the largest seaside squares in Europe.
Sant'Antimo's cathedral church, a museum of works of considerable interest. The museum collection is dedicated to the display of liturgical objects. Particular importance is given to the Florentine artist Andrea Guardi (1415-20-post 1478), his important marble works are still preserved in the cathedral.
It was built in 1377, on the site of an ancient eighteenth-century place of worship named after St. Michael, by the will of Pietro Gambacorti, lord of Pisa. It was built according to the late Romanesque forms with temperate Gothic influences and was consecrated to San Michele, perhaps a reminder of the pre-existing complex previously mentioned. As recalled by the commemorative plaque on the façade, the architect Piero del Grillo is the Pisan master. It was consecrated in 1502 and named after Saint Augustine by Pope Alexander VI, who held a solemn ceremony on the occasion of his visit to Piombino.
The fortified complex was composed in different periods. The ancient gate on the ground of the city, also called Sant'Antonio is the oldest monument among those left in Piombino, built in 1212, is the only evidence of the municipal age. The tower was probably provided with one or more bells, used in case of cerimonies or dangers. In 1447 it was built at the behest of Rinaldo Orsini, husband of Caterina Appiani, the solid semicircular reinforcement, the 'Rivellino', which is inserted into the context of the ancient walls. The openings through which the chains of the drawbridge flowed. Also known as Porta Inferi, the building is walled on an internal edge with a small marble plaque that recalls the public authority of the year in which it is built. On the façade facing the Course it appears the winged dragon of the Appiani. In 1448 the Rivellino allowed the city to win the siege moved by Alfonso I of Arogona, of Naples, and in 1555 proved to be fundamental to the siege of the Turks. In 1417 the king of Naples, who was successfully thwarted, was in 1447 the Revolution of semicircular shape, in view of the siege of Alfonso V of Aragon. Once it was covered by a moat and equipped with a drawbridge. From the same quarry of Populonia already exploited by the Etruscans. When Cosimo I de 'Medici revisited the city between 1548 and 1557, the repair of the original Guelph battlements came out.
The Castle of Piombino, incorporated in the 16th century bastion of the Medicean Fortress, is the main military defensive work. The monolithic aspect of the castle, with its solid, almost cubical structure, could mislead the visitor, who must instead follow in its interior a fascinating and complex architectural tale that reflects the various historical events of the city. The Castle, originally built by the Pisans in the thirteenth century and then called Cassero Pisano, marked the limit of the city on that side. The oldest core consists of one of the doors that opened in the city walls, built to defend one of the most important ports of the Tyrrhenian coast as it had become Piombino. The original door of 1235 is now incorporated into the Cassero della Fortezza. The first salient transformation was the one that during the XIVth century brought, following the closure of the original access, to the construction of a defensive enclosure designed to house the Pisana garrison stationed in the city to quell the revolt centers in the bud. The fortification was then retouched by Leonardo da Vinci between 1502 and 1504 when he was involved in the reorganization of the city's defenses. In the XVth century the town of Piombino passed under the control of the Lordship of the Appiano, the perimeter of the walls was enlarged and strengthened. Between 1552 and 1557, the castle became the bulwark at the center of the fortress built by Cosimo I ° de 'Medici who, following the advent of firearms, commissioned his military architect Giovanni Camerini to wrap it in star-shaped bastions. Since then the castle became the Medici Fortress. From the middle of the 19th century to the 1960s, after numerous changes of power between the French, the Spanish and the Austrians, the castle was transformed into a prison structure, inside it is still possible to visit some cells with the graffiti of the prisoners.
Hundreds of ceramic vessels dating back to the 13th century, found by archaeologists in the church of S. Antimo above the Canali, near the old port of the city. One of the rooms contains the projects that Leonardo thought out for Piombino during his stays in the city. The hall that contains the monumental marble heads coming from the Fonte dei Canali, where Piombino originated after the abandonment of Populonia, is very suggestive.
Those who pass through the Porto Antico observe the building, will certainly not have difficulty recognizing the architectural structure of the Church. The Church of St. Anastasia in Gothic style, was built at the behest of the rich Sailors' Corporation in the thirteenth century in honor of St. Anastasia, saint proclaimed by the inhabitants of Piombino as patron saint of the city (The feast occurs on May 8 of each year)
The Church of the Immaculate Conception
The followers of St. Francis settled in Piombino a few decades after the death of the founder and remained there until 1806, when numerous religious orders were suppressed in the city, and several churches were desecrated, at the behest of Elisa Bonaparte Baciocchi, sister of Napoleon and princess of Piombino. At the end of the nineteenth century the Franciscan friars chose Piombino as the convent's center for the care of the sick and needy brothers of sea air in the Tuscany province
The museum was founded in 1985, thanks to an initiative of the Municipality and the Institute of Biology and Ecology Marina di Piombino, which was part of a plan for the revival of tourism in the city. The institution, which operates in close relationship with the Institute, is responsible for studying and monitoring the marine environment of the Mediterranean, thanks also to a Multipurpose Center for Environmental Education, with a didactic and research section.The Museum is located in Palazzo Appiani, the first residence of the Appiani family. Datable to the mid-fourteenth century, also called "Palazzo Vecchio" or "Palazzo Vecchio di Piazza". The dungeons, perfectly preserved, are datable to the thirteenth century.
Il Palazzo Comunale di Piombino è un antico edificio, costruito nel XIII secolo come Palazzo dei Priori (o Palazzo della Comunità), e successivamente riedificato nel 1444 per ospitare le riunioni degli Anziani, il gruppo di potere cittadino. La struttura, alla quale si affianca la pregevole Torre dell'Orologio, costruita nel 1598, fu sottoposta tra il 1933 e il 1937 ad ampi lavori di ristrutturazione, che alterarono di non poco l'assetto originario, dando però all'edificio una forma dal pregevole gusto medievale, con tre ordini a bifore e archi a sesto acuto, mentre la Torre presenta un disegno non dissimile da quello della Torre del Mangia di Siena. All'interno del Palazzo Comunale sono ospitate alcune opere artistiche di rilievo, tra le quali una Madonna col Bambino o Madonna del Latte, dipinta nel 1575 da Giovanni Maria Tacci, una statua marmorea a identico tema di Ciolo e Marco da Siena, e le raffigurazioni su tela dei principi di Piombino e granduchi di Toscana.
The Palazzo Comunale di Piombino is an ancient building, built in the XIII century as Palazzo dei Priori (or Palazzo della Comunità), and subsequently rebuilt in 1444 to host the meetings of the Elders, the city's power group.The structure, which is flanked by the valuable Clock Tower, built in 1598, was subjected to extensive renovations between 1933 and 1937, which altered the original layout, giving the building a shape from the valuable medieval taste, with three orders of mullioned windows and pointed arches, while the Tower has a design not unlike that of the Torre del Mangia of Siena. Inside the Palazzo Comunale are hosted some important artistic works, including a Madonna with Child or Madonna del Latte, painted in 1575 by Giovanni Maria Tacci, a marble statue with the same theme of Ciolo and Marco da Siena, and the depictions on canvas of the princes of Piombino and grand dukes of Tuscany.
In the splendid setting of Punta Falcone there is the Astronomical Observatory: it was built in the seventies, where during the Second World War there was an anti-ship battery. It is one of the most important non-professional observing sites of the Tuscany Region.
It extends between the promontory of Piombino and the Gulf of Baratti, where stood the Etruscan and Roman city of Populonia, known since ancient times for the intense metallurgical activity linked to the production of iron. It includes a significant part of the Etruscan and Roman settlement of Populonia, with its vast necropolises, the calcarenite quarries and the industrial districts where the hematite ore was worked, coming from the deposits of the island of Elba, to obtain iron. Adjacent to the reception center of the park extends the wide necropolis of the orientalizing period of San Cerbone. The itinerary winds through dozens of tumulus tombs, a shrine and a sarcophagus; covering a chronological range from the 7th to the 6th century BC
This WWF Oasis is a precious testimony of the past extensive marshes of the lower Val di Cornia, which disappeared as a result of soil remediation. In a flat coasting area, surrounded by power plants and industrial plants, the brackish marsh of the Orti and the freshwater Bottagone form together a true biodiversity oasis, which guarantees suitable habitats for many animal and plant species, in particular for many species of birds.
Located behind Campiglia Marittima and the promontory of Piombino, the park covers an area of about 450 hectares. The tour routes wind through museums, mining tunnels, a medieval village of miners and founders founded about a thousand years ago, and paths of historical, archaeological, geological and naturalistic interest.
Elba Island is an island located in the Piombino canal. It is the largest island of the Tuscan Archipelago, and the third largest in Italy. The island was already inhabited during the Paleolithic, as evidenced by the findings of lithic tools. Rich in iron deposits, Elba Island made possible the rise of the Etruscan civilization, which built several fortified hill villages located on hills in strategic positions. Subsequently, with Roman dominion, at least three maritime villas were built on the island. After the fall of Rome, Elba became territory of the Ostrogoths and later, in 610, of the Longobards. The emperor Napoleon Bonaparte was exiled to Elba in 1814 and remained there for 10 months as governor of the Principality of Elba Island
Pianosa is an island located in the Tyrrhenian Sea, and is part of the Tuscan Archipelago. The name of the island referred, since Classical Antiquity, to its flat morphology: Planasia, from the Latin adjective planus ("flat"). During the Middle Ages, the name of the island became Planosa. The island was inhabited since prehistoric times; the oldest traces of human presence are attributable to the Upper Paleolithic. Also found were artifacts and burials of peoples belonging to the Mesolithic and Neolithic, which is also traced back to the settlement attested on the small island known as the Scola.